Sunday 23 October 2011

Blistering Brandbuilders!

I'm all a-gog for the new Steven Spielberg/Peter Jackson film of Tintin, which opens here this week. It's a project that's been in the offing ever since Spielberg first laid eyes on the Tintin comics thirty years ago (what a deprived childhood the poor man must have led.)

Apart from the film living up to its expectations, my main hope is that Tintin does not become brand/blandified, in the way that other children's characters have. I'm talking about the process by which a once quirky character has all its edges filed down to a uniform "soft play" surface which then takes over the world via pyjamas, rucksacks, reduced-sugar yoghurts and "sleepover" nappies. Thomas the Tank Engine and friends are one major culprit, but the prize for the most successful blandification must surely go to Winnie the Pooh. For a Bear of Very Little Brain, he certainly knows how to make money.

But with Tintin, I feel that there are just too many edges, nooks and crannies for comfort. Too many bits which probably don't warrant much digging and delving. Too much of an un-PC, non-bland nature.

In the end, my advice to Tintin is this - don't let them cut off your quiff, young man!

1 comment:

Sue Imgrund said...

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it 4 Quiffs. I loved the way that plot threads and incidents from three Tintin stories were woven into one coherent adventure. I loved the spectacle and action, particularly the scenes in Morocco and the flying boat. Captain Haddock had not been deprived of his whisky.

I did find the characters very slightly creepy - it's that neither one nor t'other feel that's a bit weird. Funny how I can relate to 2D cartoons better - maybe it's my age.